Skip to main content

What a Week!

 Hey friends!



This week on The Farm Mom Blog, I'm going to do a little recap of what has been going on here on our homestead. There has been some interesting and funny things that went down and I just felt that some lighthearted reading would be a great way to start the first weeks official blog and give you a little insight on just how "fly by the seat of your pants" homesteading/farming actually is.




--> Half the week has been relatively quite with all the kids starting back up the school year. We have a new Sophomore, a new Freshman and a brand new Kindergartner! With just one kid at home during day (for now! were in the final countdown on baby #5 if you didn't know) its been much easier to keep the house picked up and faster meal prepping LOL! 

Garen, our Kindergartener, was the most excited I've ever seen him on his first day of school. That morning, he woke up all smiles and the entire morning he couldn't help give me random, BIG hugs until he stepped on the bus. It was quite cute 💓  




--> We also had our last yard sale over the weekend. Now, a quick backstory on this yard sale. Its something we have been doing through the entire summer and I am so happy to say that that journey is OVER! 

Here is the backstory...

We had always talked about buying up a cheap estate auction or storage unit so that we can resell and make a little profit of it (can you tell we have watched too many episodes of Storage wars? 😂)

There was an Estate Auction that Alex (the Hubs) had attended in late spring. I cant recall why I didn't go but lets just say that there was a point in that auction where the prices were so low (entire one lot/one money tables) that Alex couldn't help but finally put our pipe dream to the test. He ended buying A LOT of that sale. Later we regrouped and I went back with him to help load our trailer of his finds. 

When we got there, I had to be honest with him. So much of this stuff was no good. I hated to admit that to him because of his enthusiasm about the whole situation.

 I was sweating bullets as we were loading everything. There didn't appear to be any gems in there and most of it was either badly outdated (like the horrid ugly outdated, wrong kind of vintage) or stuff you could easily run to thrift store for and find all day long at prices less than a quarter.

The following weeks, we spent time organizing the junk. We made piles of the stuff was good finds, stuff that was ok finds and stuff that we just donated because it wasn't worth the time to try to sell.

We then took our trailer with us all around town to all my in laws yard sales they had and set up. 

Here is where I again need to be honest....

It wasn't as bad as i thought it would be! I for sure did not see us being able to at least make back the money that was spent buying it. It actually helped our homestead business side of it too though. Alex was pretty smart right there. He also used those opportunities to set up our products that we make and sell at our local markets and the items we have available online in our Esty shop too. There were also a few big items that I had missed that he bid on and won that helped make huge chunks of our money back. That being said, It was not a failure. It wasn't the best but we definitely made our money back and then some. Will we do it again? NO! We will not. It turned out to be way more work than we anticipated. But hey, we all have to learn some how right? Sometimes we fail and learn a lesson and sometimes we succeed and learn a lesson. I'm just glad that part of our lesson is over and we wont be doing that again 😅) I wished I had taken photos of everything to give you visual of just how out dated everything was)




--> Now, for the best highlight of our week.


This one cracks me up. And I was even lucky enough to catch it on video, If you have ever wondered what it is like to raise goats you truly need to watch this video. Goats are very social animals with lots of varying personalities which makes it fun to raise them. They also some of the most stubborn animals you can have too. There is NEVER a dull moment having goats on your farm. And if you DO raise goats or have in the past, you know exactly what Im talking about and are probably chuckling to yourself right now because it probably stirred up at least a dozen memories you've had with the goat experience 😂😂


We were hanging out in the garden, we probably go out there at least every day to take in all the hard work that Alex spent growing and maintaining the bounty of produce when we notice a loan Goat wandering around... I truly don't want to tell you what he was doing because it will be a huge spoiler. So click the link below and watch. Its less than 15 seconds long and will give you a good laugh for the rest of your day. Also, take note that the goat was not harmed!

CRAZY @$$ GOAT!


Hope you guys have a great rest of the week. Id like to encourage you to send me a message if there is anything in particular you'd like me share about. It can be farm, animals. mom, recipes, product recommendations, how-tos, baby/kid stuff. I'm an open book so whatever it is let me know. Id love to create content that is helpful and beneficial to you guys. 




This week, here is what I've been....


Drinking- Loving this Organic Vanilla Cold Brew Coffee from Wandering bear! I have recently teamed up with them after finding and loving their cold brew and bean coffees so I am now an affiliate with them! You can check out there selection of organic coffees here and if you use my code WHOSTHATGIRL_ITSJEN at checkout you can even save 10% off your orders too. 

You can watch a great, quick iced coffee hack reel I made here


Diffusing- If your into Essential oils or want to be, I have been loving Doterras Balance (a Grounding) Blend combined with OnGuard Protective blend and Northern Escape. It smells amazing together in the diffuser. Its calm and relaxing yet motivating too! If you have any questions about essential oils, get in touch and ill answer all your questions.


Making- Its that time of year again where the weather is cooling down and I begin to get back in the mood for knitting and crocheting projects. I have been working on these 2 adorable baby hats I found on Pinterest here  and here


Baking- Since we are in the final countdown of baby #5 (surprise gender too) I have been making sourdough waffles in double batches to put in the freezer for easy breakfast for the kids on school mornings! Let me know if your interested in my recipe.


Wearing- I have a collection of Gigi Pip hats. Ive been alternating wearing my Monroe Rancher and my Leo hat. You can check out their entire collection of womens (and kids too!) hats here 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GREEN CHILIS AND FALL!

 ITS GREEN CHILI SEASON AND THAT MEANS FALL IS ALMOST HERE!  I do enjoy the summer. I love being outside, feeling the sun on my skin and seeing all the green grass and not having to wear shoes (or socks!). What I dislike about the summer is the high temperatures that come with it... Don't even get me started on my new experience of being in the final trimester of pregnancy in the dead heat of summer 😂 I seriously do not think I have ever complained more in my entire life LOL! Fall is my ideal season. I love the midnight chill and the crisp/cold, early morning air. I love to go outside and have my morning coffee in the rising sun. The temperature is perfect for me. The combination of the cool air and the gentle warming of the morning sun is my favorite part of the day. My littlest one loves to sit on the ground next to me and play with all the rocks he finds around him while I sip on my coffee.  I think just about everyone (at least everyone that I have ever met)  can agree that th

Another day another blog

 Hi.  My name is Jen. I am just a city raised girl all grown up(ish) living a country wife life. I've been told I'm crunchy and they probably aren't wrong. Here, you will truly read about lifestyle. Some posts might be short, some might be long. Some might be about kids and some might be about our farm. Maybe a little fashion and maybe my most tried and true recipes.  I'd love for you to stick around and get comfy and see what life is like with (almost) 5 kids living in a shipping container that we built ourselves and farming our 5 acres to generate an income and to live as sustainable as we can (you bet bartering is included!) Feel free to introduce yourself in the comments below. I'm not here to just share who I am. I would love to get to you know too. Let's be friends! xoxo Jen Baby carrier I'm wearing in photo is an Onbuhimo made by  Sakura Bloom